Yoga is a healing practice in many ways. Not just does it rejuvenate the mind and body from within, but it also has amazing effects on the skin. Just combine in specific yoga poses for glowing skin with a healthy diet, good skincare regime and lots of water, and a beautifully glowing skin is guaranteed!
From breathing exercises that detoxify your skin to twisting poses that reduce toxins, read on to know about some of the beauty benefits of yoga.
1. Increases blood circulation and reduces toxins. Certain asanas (poses) that focus on the head and face, such as the cobra pose, fish pose, plow pose, shoulder stand, triangle pose and child pose, increase the blood flow to the nerves underneath your face, which aid in skin cell renewal – giving the skin a radiant glow. And if it is combined with an energising vinyasa flow, such as a couple of rounds of sun salutations (surya namaskars), it causes the body temperature to raise sweating out all those nasty toxins. Common skin problems such as breakouts and dull skin will then become a thing of the past!
2. Improves the digestive process. The digestive tract is where we absorb most of the skin-loving nutrients from the foods we eat, and an unhealthy digestive system could be a major cause for breakouts, acne and other skin conditions. Incorporating poses, such as the kneeling pose, bow pose and alternate nostril breathing on a lighter stomach, could detoxify your gut and keep everything moving along smoothly.
3. Lowers stress. Stress can be the catalyst for many skin problems, such as premature wrinkling, loss of elasticity, a tired appearance and breakouts. Restorative yoga is one such form that relaxes the body and mind; thus, lowering stress levels.
4. Tones your face. As we age, our skin loses elasticity and muscles become slack; leading to dull skin and wrinkling. Facial yoga is one way to solve this problem. Practicing just a few facial exercises a day could elevate and strengthen the muscles of your face and increase the blood circulation, promoting a natural glow.
5. Yoga restores the harmony in our body and balances hormones. A hormonal imbalance could be the cause for many skin conditions such as breakouts and acne, and other ailments such as fatigue and weight gain. Therefore, asanas (poses) such as the cobra pose, camel pose and rabbit pose stimulate hormone producing glands and help them stay balanced.
6. Yoga facilitates emotional cleansing. Bottling up negative emotions could cause stress and depression, which could raise cortisol (a steroid hormone that regulates a wide range of processes in your body) in the blood stream; causing further acne and skin pigmentation. Only releasing these emotions will make you feel lighter, happier and energized, which will in turn promote a healthy-looking skin.