Tips to practise hair and scalp hygiene to keep yourself safe in the times of Covid-19.
The on-going Covid-19 has raised the awareness of personal hygiene among everyone. From sanitising and washing your hands frequently to covering your mouth and keeping surfaces of homes, door knobs, etc. clean at all times, all of this is of utmost importance.
However, while maintaining personal hygiene, let’s not forget one very important aspect of hygiene – your hair and scalp hygiene. With everyone staying indoors, we generally get lazy and take for granted our hair wash routine and cleaning our scalps thoroughly.
Schwarzkopf Professional expert and Technical Head Melissa Hughe shares a detailed hair wash guide to help you follow an ideal hygiene routine.
How to shampoo and condition:
|Step 1||Detangle hair and wet thoroughly.|
|Step 2||Take required amount of shampoo (up to 10 ml) in your palm and apply on to scalp section by section with your fingers.|
|Step 3||Massage your scalp with fingers in a circulatory motion while also lathering and foaming the shampoo. If required add a little water to increase the lather/foam. Massage the foam onto your hair lengths and emulsify in a milking fashion.|
|Step 4||Rinse thoroughly till the water comes clean without any bubbles. Recommend a second shampoo for better cleansing. Repeat steps 1-4.|
|Step 5||Squeeze dry all the excess water from your hair. Take required amount of conditioner/ treatment (up to 20 ml) and apply with your fingers starting at your hair tips and slowly moving up. Do not apply on scalp. Massage into hair lengths in a milking fashion. Keep in the hair from 2-5 minutes.|
|Step 6||Apply water and emulsify your hair. Remove all the treatment with your fingers. Rinse thoroughly.|
|Step 7||Towel dry your scalp and hair thoroughly.|
PRO TIPS FROM THE EXPERT
- Make sure you use a gentle shampoo for washing your hair. One that delivers a gentle cleansing experience without stripping the hair of its natural moisture.
- Do condition your hair. Conditioner smoothens and detangles the hair, which therefore helps reduce breakage and frizz.
- Use cold water to rinse out the conditioner/treatment.
- Since healthy hair begins at the scalp, being extra gentle when washing at the root is of utmost importance; don’t use your nails or massage the scalp too harshly.
- Gently rub and massage your scalp while rinsing out both the shampoo and treatment to ensure no product residue is left.
- Devote one to two minutes to massage your scalp to remove the built-up dirt.
- Good personal hygiene also includes covering your mouth while sneezing and coughing. Ensure you wash your hands frequently to avoid transmitting germs to your scalp and hair.
- Make sure you keep your hair tied by using accessories like hairbands/scrunchies/ clips to keep your hair away from coming in contact with your face.