A healthy skin is nothing but the reflection of a good health. And that’s why we need to ensure that we take good care of our health by incorporating the right ingredients in our recipes. One such ingredient is basil seeds.
Traditionally known as ‘falooda seeds’ or ‘tukmaria seeds’, the sweet basil seeds (also called sabja seeds) offer a large range of benefits for health, skin and hair. Black in colour, these seeds bear a striking resemblance to the chia seeds.
But what makes these ordinary-looking seeds so healthy?
Proteins, and of course, some healthy fats, carbs, dietary fibres, minerals, vitamins and the right calories needed for our body. In fact, they contain Alpha-linolenic acid and high level of omega-3 fatty acids too! This leaves no doubt that basil seeds are good for our health, but what about our skin and hair? How is sabja beneficial for our skin and hair? Well, let’s find out.
Health, Skin and Hair Benefits of Basil Seeds
Let’s take a look at the benefits of basil seeds for our skin and hair:
Basil seeds for skin:
1. It gives us a blemish-free glowing skin. Regular intake of basil seeds can enrich our skin cells with essential vitamins and minerals, thus giving us a blemish-free, radiant-looking skin naturally.
2. Gets rid of blackheads, pimples and acne. Being a natural detox, basil seeds can cleanse your internal system and keep various skin issues like blackheads, pimples, acne and whiteheads away. Also, these seeds contain antibiotic properties, which can keep our skin healthy and infection-free from inside!
3. Helps in warding off premature ageing. Once we enter our mid-30s our skin starts showing traces of premature ageing, which later affect our beauty. Just a bit of basil seed application on your face can help ward off premature ageing quickly.
4. Tightens your skin. As basil seeds are rich in vitamins and flavonoids, they prove to be an effective skin tightening catalyst. In fact, these seeds have the power to fight free radicals, oxidize the skin, reduce wrinkles, age spots and fine lines too. In addition to that, the seeds also help in cell regeneration and shrink pores. One of the best ways to use Sabja seeds would be to make a toner. All you need are some soaked sabja seeds and some lemon juice. You could also add egg white to the toner for a face pack to use once in three days to tighten the skin too
Basil seeds for hair:
1. Reduces hair fall. Protein is an essential requirement for our hair, and basil seeds can provide a whopping amount of this nutrient to our body. Just mix equal quantities of amla and basil. Make a paste using cold water and keep it overnight. Then add small amount of coconut oil to the paste and apply it on your hair. This will help reduce hair fall. And, it may perhaps stop the premature greying of hair as well.
2. Fights dandruff. Ward off that pesky dandruff with the basil seed oil. Mix a few drops of basil oil with coconut oil. Warm this mixture and massage it onto your scalp. Leave it overnight. Next morning, wash it off with a mild shampoo. Not only will this help in easing out the itching, but it will also improve blood circulation. And, of course, it will help in cleansing the roots and the scalp.
While we’re at it let’s take a look at some of the health benefits too (As, a healthy body also affects our skin and hair!)
1. Aids in digestion. Morning bowel movements wouldn’t be painful and hurting, if your digestive tract is kept clean. Basil seeds can clean the inner stomach and clear the digestive system off toxins. A teaspoon of Sabja seeds should be soaked in warm water and consumed after twenty minutes. This would help clear the stomach and the digestive tract each morning.
2. Packed with nutrition. Sabja seeds are packed with a whole lot of essential nutrients, which are required by our body. In fact, adding these seeds to your diet could help you get sufficient amounts of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, sugar, dietary fibers, vitamins, minerals, and calories. This, as a result, will not only get your bodily functions regularized but also keep you protected from a number of ailments.
3. Relieves stress. The consumption of basil seeds produces an uplifting effect on one’s mood. As a result, it helps relieve mental fatigue, migraines, depression, melancholy, and stress (all of which are causes for acne and hair loss). In fact, because it has a calming effect in the body, the herb is typically used for aromatherapy purposes.
4. Boosts weight loss. Since basil seeds contain high amounts of alpha-linolenic acid, they help burn metabolism in the body and boost weight loss too. Besides, the high fiber content in these seeds can help keep you full for long, which means you wouldn’t crave for unhealthy junk food in between meals. The best way to consume Sabja seeds is by adding them to a fruit salad or garnishing them on a cup of sour curd, and have it an hour before your main meal.