This month is a good time to pamper your hands and feet. RACHNA VIRDI shares a nail spa tutorial to give you super cute nails at home.
If a trip to the salon is still unlikely, freshen up your tips and toes with a basic mani-pedi session at home. We all love an easy at-home fix, right? We promise you it’s simple. Just follow this beginner’s guide to manicure and pedicure and your hands and feet will get the attention they deserve.
Manicure essentially consists of cleaning, trimming, shaping and colouring your hand nails. This keeps them from turning weak and brittle, and makes them healthy, strong and beautiful. Here’s a step-wise guide:
- Before you start a home manicure, make sure your nails are polish free. Soak your hands in polish remover for a few seconds.
- Soak your nails in a bowl of warm water to soften your cuticles. Then clean the area under and around the nails with a brush.
- This is the time to exfoliate! Mix one tbsp. sugar with one tbsp. of baby oil gel and gently scrub away the dead, dry cells. Rinse and pat dry.
- Rub a refreshing essential oil on them to soften the cuticles. Push back the cuticles with a cuticle pusher to get a nice shape.
- Next you can apply and massage a good cuticle oil / cream to protect them.
- Then trim your nails to your desired length and shape and file them.
- Prep by thoroughly massaging your hands and nails with a good hand lotion.
- Apply a base coat to smoothen any ridges and create an even surface for the nail colour.
- Start with a thin layer of basecoat on your nails.
- Then apply two thin layers of your favourite colour, allowing it to dry completely between each coat.
- Finish it by covering with a top coat that prevents it from chipping.
- Go ahead, do your favourite nail art and make that impression.
Pedicure is the same treatment as manicure but done on the feet. The massaging on the toes and feet will improve blood circulation and make your feet look prettier than ever. Do it to believe it.
- Begin with removing the existing nail polish.
- To remove every last bit of colour, soak a cotton pad in nail polish remover and hold it on each nail for a few seconds to allow the paint to break down before you start swiping.
- Fill up a large basin tub with warm water and add a liberal scoop of skin-soothing bath salts.
- Now soak your feet in it for a few minutes while exfoliating the skin with a bristle brush.
- The sides of the toes would love a good scrub. Use a pumice stone or foot file to gently smooth the skin.
- Take one foot at a time out of the tub and dry it off with a towel.
- Use a cuticle pusher to push back the cuticles.
- Move on to filing, shaping and smoothing the nails.
- Apply a foot cream or body lotion to massage your toes, feet and calves and relax your nerves.
- Using a toe separator, apply a thin layer of base coat followed by your favourite nail colour.
- Allow it to dry for 15 minutes before finishing with the top coat.
- Your feet will look fresh and fabulous and ready to slip into your footwear.