Refresh your face at home with healthy summer coolants. Mona Punjabi suggests some DIY recipes!
Lemongrass Face Mask
With the sun treating us to its scorching best, try making a refreshing cool face mask using lemongrass.
- In a bowl, take 1-2 tablespoons of Fuller’s Earth (multani mitti) or facial clay (bentonite, green clay, to name a few)
- Add a few drops of lemongrass oil and,
- 1-2 tablespoon of aloe vera gel
- Whisk it well to form a smooth paste
- Now, apply a healthy proportion of the paste on your face and neck and let it rest
- Once the paste has dried up, wash off with regular water
P.S. If you don’t have lemongrass oil at home, take about ½ cup of your favourite base oil (coconut, jojoba or almond oil) and a few strands of lemongrass in a mortar and pestle and slightly crush it. Now sieve the oil to remove the remnants and use it in your DIY.
Benefits: It’s anti-inflammatory, soothes the skin and has anti-bacterial properties.
Cucumber and Aloe Vera Face Toner
Besides restoring the skin’s pH balance and cleansing it, toners also give our skin a quick dash of hydration. And, when we speak hydration who better than the heavenly duo of cucumber and aloe vera to make a refreshing and rejuvenating facial toner!
- Peel a medium-sized cucumber (avoid the peeling part provided the cucumber is fresh and cleaned well)
- In a small bowl, scrape it to get a fine paste
- You can also lightly boil the cucumber slices and blend them in a mixer to get a smooth paste
- Add 2-3 tbsp of aloe vera gel and mix well till you get a liquid-like consistency
- Transfer to a spare spray bottle, shake well and use as required
- Remember to refrigerate it after every use
- Alternatively, you can omit the aloe vera gel and make a solo cucumber toner too
Benefits: Helps to tighten the pores, you can also dab the cool liquid on a clean cotton pad and place over the eyes to get relief from puffiness and soreness